Re: Re: Re: Re: Eastman Tuba Teacher in the 60s?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 06, 2002 at 14:14:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Eastman Tuba Teacher in the 60s? posted by TubaRay on October 05, 2002 at 17:58:46:

He went on to the University of Texas at Austin. I remember playing a church gig when I lived in Austin, where we were playing the Poulenc Gloria. The orchestra was a mix of church musicians (mostly school kids), amateurs from the orchestra the music minister conducted in his spare time (i.e. me), and pros hired to fill the gaps.

Because of a conflict (okayed by the conductor), I was late to the first rehearsal. I slipped in with my tuba and sat down in the empty chair left for me, just as the music was starting. I heard this monster sound coming from my left, and at the first break introduced myself. The fellow said, "Hi, I'm Don Knaub" I nearly peed my pants.

But my admiration grew as I watched him work with the school-aged trombone player on the other part. The kid was also nervous, especially in the entrance to the second movement where the trombones alternate eighth notes in a section solo. He asked Mr. Knaub if he just wanted to play the whole line, which he could easily have done, but he responded, "Absolutely not--you can play it. Here, let me show you how to get through licks like this..." and proceeded to work with him to make it work.

Rick "thinking Cherry Beauregard was teaching tuba at Eastman at that time" Denney

Follow Ups: