Re: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on October 07, 2002 at 09:26:58:

In Reply to: Long Distance Running and Tuba Playing posted by Mark on October 07, 2002 at 09:05:39:

Breathing is breathing. If you do it correctly for running, then you will do it correctly for tuba playing.

Sorry for the bluntness. After playing for over 35 years, I made an interesting, if not distressing discovery. I was breathing correctly, but not deeply enough. In order to breathe deeply enough, lung strength training is a good idea. The diaphragm needs strengthening just like the facial muscles (tuba playing) or the leg muscles (running). Constant exercise keeps the flexibility but without strength training, flexibility is all you get.

There was a mention earlier of a device to strenghthen breathing that Steven Mead promotes. I purchased it. It works if all you do is inhale. Playing requires exhalation as well.

I found another product, called a Power Lung that does both inhalation and exhalation strenghthening. For competition, the makers recommend the Sport model. (I've been using one for about 2 weeks and have seen a noticable improvement in my breathing/playing.) It's not cheap - retails for $104.95 but if it works......

If any of you are interested, e-mail me off list. I'm going to sell them - I think it's that good!!

Follow Ups: