Re: If money is no issue, which F?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 08, 2002 at 08:18:22:

In Reply to: If money is no issue, which F? posted by buyer on October 07, 2002 at 18:09:58:

Even if I were the best tuba player in the world, and also the richest, I might have to really twist my own arm to buy a Hirsbrunner. But that's more because of paying Rolls Royce prices for what, in Europe, is a Mercedes, with the difference staying on these shores, if you know what I mean.

So, I've never tried out the Hirsbrunner.

I have played many of the others, however. If I wanted a single F tuba for bread-and-butter playing where I now use a contrabass, it would be the Willson F in a heartbeat. It is one of the few tubas that when I start playing it, I don't want to stop. Ever. And every soloist I've ever heard playing one sounded wonderful, so there's nothing about that tuba that is getting in their way.

I have to say that I feel the same way about the Miraphone 181, but I've only tried it once and have not had the chance to hear others play it.

The 822 is no match for the Willson, in my humble view, but perhaps the problem has been those that I've tried.

I currently have a Yamaha 621, and it does very well, but it has a sound that could not serve in many contrabass situations. It's a great second horn for someone who mostly plays a C or BBb, though.

As to Alexanders and the like, they have the magic--in the upper register. Even their strongest proponents talk about what you have to know how to do to make them work down low. I don't know how to do it, and at this stage of my life I might not learn. Give me a horn that doesn't require it, please. Fortunately, those are available.

Rick "thinking the Willson is expensive enough to be expensive" Denney

Follow Ups: