Re: School Sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on October 08, 2002 at 15:20:06:

In Reply to: School Sousaphones posted by Shane Harris on October 08, 2002 at 15:01:24:

I believe the current going rate for a new 20K is around $4000, and the new King 2350s should be around $3500. Either one should hold their value, except to the extent that they get beat up by students having no respect for property that they don't own.

I think a better option would be to buy good refurbished horns. There is a guy who has a music store in Ohio selling overhauled 20Ks for around $3000 on that auction site. If you call him directly he may give an additional discount for a school. I have personally never dealt with him so can't comment on the quality of his work or his business parctices. I know that Dillon Music also has a couple of 20Ks and some 14Ks that have been overhauled, selling for reasonable prices. Taylor Music (1800usaband) also sells "econo" overhauled sousaphones that would be a reasonable deal. I have have good dealings with them. They have Conn 14Ks and King 2350s, either of which would be a little easier to handle than 20Ks for High School students, for around $2600. I think that any of them would be good choices.

Follow Ups: