PT50+

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on October 10, 2002 at 18:19:46:

I just made a trip to Custom Music to try out the new Megatucci mouthpieces and horns for fun. I am interested in eventually getting a replacement for my PT4 that I had to sell ealier in the year. I tried the PT20P and the PT6P with the new PT50 mega and the PT88mega. I have always liked the standard PT50 but I like the new PT50+ even more. I always had a couple notes that I did not like with the standard 50 but the 50+ seemes to be correct that for me.

I have to say that I am very impressed with the new PT6 as well. The new PT6 has a slightly thicker bell and larger valves than the older models. I was surprised how flexible it seemed to be. I started out with the PT20 which is more of the size I am used to but the 6 was almost as easy to play lightly and had a much easier blowing low register.

I was originally pretty well sold on the Willson 3050 CC to replace the PT4 but I may have to re-think my choices after playing the PT6. The memories I have of the WIllson was that I liked it but it felt very large and like it would only be used in a large setting. The PT6 felt easier to play than my memory of the Willson and I think it would be possible to play it even in a quintet with a small mouthpiece. I will have play test the Willson again before I do anything but the PT6 was really impressive today.

The surprising part to me was when I tried the PT50+ on my Willson Eb which my only horn right now. I feel like I am playing my old PT4 with this mp/horn set up. The sound is really big and the upper register is not as bad as I thought it would be. I can play to the Eb above the staff and still feel pretty good about the sound which was not nearly as good with the standard PT50 I sold with the PT4.

I just thought I would share my findings of the new mouthpieces and the surprise of using a big mouthpiece on a Willson Eb.

-Jim

Follow Ups: