Re: YBB641 ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 11, 2002 at 08:00:41:

In Reply to: YBB641 ? posted by De on October 10, 2002 at 20:18:10:

I'll go out on a limb and say that there are good examples of this horn. One of them that I played was one of the best BBb's I've ever played, and I have played just about every one except for the new Fafner. The design is a cross between an Alex 163 and a Meinl-Weston 25.
There are a lot of bad one's though. This seems to be a problem with some yamaha models. I have hated almost every YBB-321 and YBB-201 I have ever touched. There is an issue of consistency with some models, and Yamaha also seems to "improve" models over time with no positive results. The worst example of Yamaha's "improving" I have seen is the YBB-10? that was basically a three valve version of the YBB-621. That was a decent, easy to hold, easy to play, compact student horn. Then they started changing it to what they have now which is a terrible, harder to hold, more out of tune three valve upright little horn with the same bell and branches.
Basically, take each horn, especially with tubas, one example at a time. While there might be a running consitency about a model or type, there can still be huge variations within that model.
It is like what Rick D. has said: If you like the horn so much that when you pick it up, you want to mae music with it and you can't put it down, that is probably the horn for you.
The YBB-641 is a little expensive comparatively though, you owe it ot yourself to get near a good selection of horns and see what works the best for you.

Good Luck,

Matt G

Follow Ups: