Re: Re: Re: Recommendations for a BBb?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on October 11, 2002 at 12:00:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Recommendations for a BBb? posted by Sam H. on October 11, 2002 at 10:32:02:

I see a couple posts mentioning Lee's name. He has an excellent reputation.

I bought mine from Taylor Music (1800usaband.com)They generally can supply a 20J (3 valve bell front) or a 25J (4 valve upright) The upright bells are scarce.

Harve's Happy Horns also had a 4 valve on Ebay

If you have never played the big Conn you might want to try one to see if it fits. I use mine with a K & M playing rest, which works really well. When I played a 20/21J in college both it and I fit on the chair. It didn't grow in the 40 or so years since, but I sure did.

Also, the Conn is played using one bit, like the bits used with the 20K sousaphone. A lot of folks, including some dealers, are not aware of that.

If you can get RFD TV on cable or dish, there is a guy with one of the bands shown on the Big Joe Polkafest show that plays a 20J. The band is Peter & Paul Wentinger (sp) That will give you an idea of the big sound compared to the other tubas with the other bands and you can see him also using the bit.

We had 20J's and then 21J's in college. The horns were supplied by Conn with the bit.

Hope that helps.

Follow Ups: