Re: Re: MW182 vs Yamaha 621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 16, 2002 at 18:06:47:

In Reply to: Re: MW182 vs Yamaha 621 posted by Joseph Felton on October 16, 2002 at 12:22:56:

I generally agree with Joe when he says that the Yamaha is forgiving and that being a better player makes other horns a reasonable choice. I also agree that the Yamaha has a generic sound. But I don't agree that the MW182 is "electric" by comparison, though I have no doubt that it is for him.

I have always liked the 182, but I appreciate what the Yamaha does for me better. I enjoy the forgiveness it offers, and though I'm serious about tuba playing, I can't justify neglecting other responsibilities to do it. Therefore, I need all the forgiveness I can get, and I sound like a much better tuba player with the Yamaha in my hands. It opens many doors for me. You may be standing in front of other doors.

So, while I agree with the recommendation to "be a better player" (and meaning no disrespect to Joe), it seems easy advice for pro-quality players to give to those of us with more limited talent or more limited opportunity to devote full time to improving our abilities. We each do what we can, and make the best of our situation.

Rick "who thinks it's okay to like tubas that are easy to play" Denney

Follow Ups: