Re: Re: What music degrees lack?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on October 18, 2002 at 08:54:44:

In Reply to: Re: What music degrees lack? posted by Kenneth Sloan on October 17, 2002 at 22:56:35:

People see a need for Pshycologists in this day and age a ot more than they see a need for musicians. The demand required makes it a lot easier to find a job as a psyhcologist than as a musician. My point is that to survive and thrive in the music business, one must understand how to adjust to market trends and stay one step ahead of them or even influence them directly.
Think of it this way:
If the Boston Symphony Orchestra were to come under financial hardship, what whould happen to the Boston Pops? I know that they operate in seperate realms, but they are definitely connected. The general public would get upset if the Pops were to fold. That would mean no more Medleys on PBS and free 4th of July Concerts. The Pops is marketed to the general populous, the BSO is not. The Pops will survive beyond the BSO if the economic climate dictated it.
Even if academia introduce a few more business classes into the curriculum, it is still the responsibility of the student to attend. They are responsible for their education. However, a gentle nudge in the right direction would never hurt. I took College Algebra for a music degree. Do I need to know the qruadratic equation to play the tuba? No. I do use algebra in what I do know even though it was part of the music ed. degree. Every undergraduate degree has a lot of "junk" in it. Most of it is useful in hindsight, but not at hand. Why not add two more classes that could add to the benefit of the college atmosphere. Besides, if a player really wants to specialize, and the can't get a gig out of their bachelor program, let them go onto a Master's degree. Graduate degrees are specifically for specialization.
Ask my wife why she needed music appreciation for an undergraduate degree in pure mathematics. Ask a person looking for an Electrical Engineering degree why they need a humanities class. Its the same reason why a musician should learn about Micro and Macro economics.
BTW, the most benificial and best taught class the entire time I was in college was Speech 101.

Matt G

Follow Ups: