Re: Meinl Weston 451 Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jailbirdwatcher on October 19, 2002 at 06:11:38:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston 451 Euphonium posted by Just Curious on October 18, 2002 at 15:42:51:

I have played one of these horns for about two years. The pitch problem seems to be it's worst characteristic. I have to admit that with experience the pitch can be controlled. The thing takes a lot of air. I have a lot of hot air and I cannot blast with it. The tone is dark and almost "tuba like", much more than other euphs that I have played. If you are a powerful player and the dark sound appeals to you, this could be the instrument for you. My advice would be to try a few instruments (Yamaha, Miraphone, Willson, Besson) and take a musical friend and a chromatic tuner with you. Don't be in a hurry to buy. Most people on the list like Bessons, but I had a bad experience with one of them. Bad quality control at the factory. The horn was put together very badly. Once again do not be in a hurry to buy a $3000 + instrument. Most reputable dealers will allow you to try one or more horns for a trial period. Take advantage of this. Best of luck. I hope this helps.

Follow Ups: