Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 BBb - Update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 20, 2002 at 07:38:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 BBb - Update posted by Tony E on October 20, 2002 at 02:22:35:

Of the people you've met who claim to have a big Holton with solid intonation, do you happen to know if the horns were in their factory condition, or had the horns been improved in some way in a shop before they played that way (carefully reassembled, for example)?

There are only two that I can recall as to their owners really "bragging on" intonation. Neither instrument had never been "beaten up" enough to prompt disassembly.

I really think the guy(s) (I've heard names of actual men several times, but never made a mental note.) who made the branches for these instruments had some almost-unique-on-this-continent skills, but that their crude tooling (and lack of ever "getting in the swing" of making several in a row) didn't contribute to consistancy. Further, I'm pretty sure (in the days of long distance phone calls being a major expense consideration) that Holton nor those bow makers ever got any serious "feedback" about those instruments.

Isn't the Tubenet great?

yep

Follow Ups: