Re: Re: Symphony helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on October 24, 2002 at 22:33:41:

In Reply to: Re: Symphony helicon posted by Jim on October 24, 2002 at 17:13:18:

Well, my primary BBb (YBB-621S) mouthpiece is a Doug Elliott P cup.

On this restored helicon, the restoration involved a modern King sousaphone neck, so with a bit all my current mouthpieces fit OK (and without a bit they all "almost fit").

I think it needs something shallower - so I'm now experimenting with the Yamaha 69C4 that came with my YBB-621S. On the other hand, I'm thinking of moving to an R cup for BBb, so the P cup may soon be "available".

The intonation issues are becoming less severe as I get used to the instrument. This is the first Eb I've played and my lips and ears are learning. I still think that the octaves are a bit "stretched" (and that may explain all of my problems).

I've even gotten used to using the one bit, and I'll probably stay with that configuration for awhile. But...sometime down the road I see a neck-reconstruction project for some ambitious shop. I think the idea of converting to a modern King sousaphone neck was a good practical choice - but it's probably a choice I'll revisit sometime.

so far, I'm RealPleased with the low-end (not surprising, since I have a pitiful high register on BBb - barely High School level, but slowly improving).

Follow Ups: