Re: Learning F , & the Miraphone 181

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christian Klein on October 26, 2002 at 16:33:11:

In Reply to: Learning F , & the Miraphone 181 posted by Chuck on October 26, 2002 at 14:56:08:

tyrrel, blazhevich (i think i might have mispelled one of those).
pick up an early tuba method book full of 'ditties'. short stuff that you can master quickly and not get frustrated.
Play stuff in comfy keys slowly but preferably stuff you don't already know.
Play lots of scales, preferably with them printed on paper in front of you so you mentally attach the fingers to the notes.
Select etudes that have lots of stuff below the staff. Once you learn how to approach the low notes on a German F tuba, it's a skill you'll never forget (least that's the way it was for me). Play stuff that requires you to use your 5th and 6th valves so you make sure and get a different 'feel' to the horn. That will help a lot making the right fingers come out later.

The PT-88 is a bit large for an F tuba. I'd try a Marcinkiewicz N4 or N3 (around $50-60) or a schilke 69C4 (these are a bit narrow for my tastes).

In my opinion, the advantages of the Marcinkiewiczs are:
--they seem to work well, i used a PT-64 for a long time on an older 181 but changed to an N4.
--they are quite inexpensive
--The rim and dimensions on your face will be very similar to the PT-88 (i have one of those too)

If you choose to look for a PT-64, give Lee Stofer a call, an rudolf meinl RM9 is nearly identical, plus Lee is in Atlanta so you can probably get it fast! I also have a PT-64 that I rarely use.

I live around atlanta and would be happy to let you try the mouthpieces i've got if you are interested. Just shoot me an email.

Cheers,

christian klein

(oh yeah, i played that low d 3rd valve)

Follow Ups: