Re: Help me Decide on a Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Crowe on October 29, 2002 at 13:25:19:

In Reply to: Help me Decide on a Tuba posted by Thomas on October 28, 2002 at 17:54:18:

Having spent alot of time on each of these tubas, I can say that both of them are excellent choices.

The Willson is a very solidly built tuba with a rock solid core to the sound. Some folks would call it a bit bright, but it definitely projects. My only gripe about the horn is its unwillingness to "change color". Someone mentioned it being similar to a Yamaha in this regard, I think. I believe this tuba's home is in a large ensemble such as orchestra or band. You could bring it into a quintet, but there's some literature that would be a beast to play with this horn, heh.

The PT-6P is also a well-built instrument. I find the valves to be a bit quirky; you may need to have them worked on by a good repairperson to get them working smoothly, but it's really a minor issue. The sound of the PT-6p is a bit warmer than the Willson, but it still projects well. One thing about the PT I enjoy is the nice color in the sound- sometimes a solid core just isn't enough without that shimmer of color. I think this horn is a bit more flexible than the Willson, so I'd be more willing to bring it into a quintet.

Like everyone else said, both horns are excellent choices. I'd recommend the PT though if you like a horn that gives you more flexibility of pitch and color.

Adam Crowe

Follow Ups: