Re: Finding an Eefer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on October 29, 2002 at 13:51:04:

In Reply to: Finding an Eefer posted by Matt Goosen on October 28, 2002 at 22:20:30:

I currently own a Willson 3400 after having traded a Besson 983 for it. If you put two and two together on this thread, you'll figure out the story.

At any rate, I'm 6'4" with a relatively normally proportioned body. When I first got the 3400, I was left cold as far as the sound went--it seemed distant and cold. However, when I tried a Miraphone C3 on the horn, it really lit up. The tone got warmer and everything lined up well in tune on the instrument and I've received many unsolicited compliments on how good the horn sounds.

It IS a big horn, with a graduated bore, which I really like--the low register is very easy. Initially, the valves were a bit sticky, but they've broken in very nicely now. Because of the way my hands seem to be built, I actually find the horn to be more comfortable than the 983 with regards to valve placement. It's also a bit more flexible as it can hold its own quite well in larger ensembles.

All of which should tell you nothing more than one man's meat is another's poison. Pick the horn that works best for you.

Follow Ups: