Re: Bathing a rotary horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim L on October 31, 2002 at 20:28:12:

In Reply to: Bathing a rotary horn posted by Ted on October 31, 2002 at 20:19:18:

ok here's what I do:
It's similar to what you would do with a piston, pull out the slides and take apart the rotors. It may seem difficult but keep the parts in order and it will be easy to put back together. It will take a while to put em back together and oil them but it will take less time as you get better at it. You will need a light headed hammer (I use a leather jewelers hammer) and various screwdrivers and a dowl or some kinda thick drum stick like aprataus. Unscrew the top of the rotor where it's attached to the attachment that goes to the key. Pry off the apratus with a flat headed screwdriver. Then unscrew the valve cap in back and, using the hammer, hit the protruding metal from the top side of the rotor SQUARELY until it knocks off the second valve cap and take the valve out. To reassemble, put the rotor in and valve cap on(with the oil) and use the dowl rod and hammer to put the cap on. Don't hit it too hard and try to line it up flush with the casing. Use the dowl to make sure it is properly aligned so the valve will still spin. Put the rest of the parts together.
I wouldn't recommend bathing the horn with the rotors in it because soap and valve oil doesn't miss.
Got other questions, send me an email
Jim

Follow Ups: