Re: Another clueless parent-we're everywhere

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on October 01, 2003 at 14:47:39:

In Reply to: Another clueless parent-we're everywhere posted by Sharon on October 01, 2003 at 12:45:56:

Posted by Sharon
Can someone tell me what a CC tuba is?

CC refers to the key of the tuba. Most of the tubas that people play as students are in the key BBb. A CC tuba is slightly shorter in length than a BBb so it is easier to play, and it also produces a slightly cleaner, clearer sound. Of course this is speaking of two horns that are exactly the same, except that one is in BBb and the other is in CC. Also, there are many exceptions to above comment; search the archives for extended debate.

the key doesn't matter, but b flat is the one I already know the best(if it has more valves, you can change keys very easily by pushing down the 5th valve, if i remember right)
There are a few horns that are specifically designed to do that (Getzen G50 is the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but I think there are more). Generally, when you lock a valve down to change the key of an instrument it ends up not blowing nearly as freely and intonation suffers quite a lot. I would recommend that your son either stick with a BBb and play that one well, or learn the fingerings for a CC tuba.

1 and a quarter bore (what is that?)
He's probably referring to a 5/4 size tuba. Calling an instrument a 5/4 bore is actually misleading, because bore size has nothing to do with overall size of an instrument. Some of the largest tubas made have very small bore size (meaning the diameter of the tubing through the valve section), while some small horns have a very large bore. A standard sized tuba (as big as a Hirsbrunner HB-2 or as small as a Miraphone 186) is considered 4/4 size. Anything significantly larger than that might be called 5/4 or 6/4 and anything significantly smaller might be called 3/4. X/4 measurements can be quite misleading, and there is much debate about what size horns are best used for different venues/groups/repertoire. Generally, someone can get by well with a good quality 4/4 instrument for just about any kind of playing.

I would like to keep the price under $2500, if possible.
If you're trying to stick to a budget like that, focusing on BBb tubas will definitely give you more options. CC's tend to be a bit more expensive, and there aren't as many CC tubas being sold in general. Trying to find a 5/4 CC in that price range can be next to impossible, frankly. If you're willing to buy something a bit smaller and in the key of BBb, your options will multiply. Here are some good websites to check out:

www.bassclefbrass.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~mrtuba/ (new site for the Baltimore Brass Company)
http://www.dillonmusic.com/Used_Instruments/usedinstruments.asp?instrument=Used%20Tubas

Also, tubas get sold here all the time, so keep checking back. Matt Walters at Dillon Music and David Fedderly at the Baltimore Brass Company are both invaluable resources in regards to playability of tubas and value for your money. It would be well worth the long distance bill to call them up and talk things out.

As far as specific horn recommendations go, Miraphones (also spelled Mirafone) have stood the test of time for being relatively low-priced, quality horns that are built well and play in tune with a good sound. Conns have a very different sound from Mirafones, but they are also known for lasting quality and good tone. There are many brands out there, and most of them have made good tubas and bad tubas. My recommendation is that you shop around, talk to lots of people and don't rush into anything. I definitely wouldn't purchase anything without having someone you trust give it a good play through so you don't have any surprises. Fedderly and Walters are great about that kind of thing.

Your son is very fortunate to have such a generous mother! I hope he appreciates your support.

Best of luck to you,
Chuck Koontz

Follow Ups: