Re: MARYLAND ALL STATE EUPHONIUM

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stefan Antwarg on October 05, 2003 at 09:43:46:

In Reply to: MARYLAND ALL STATE EUPHONIUM posted by R on October 04, 2003 at 22:22:07:

I judged tuba and euphonium last year for the Maryland Senior Band. The people who get into the band (on any instrument), are the people who just know the music perfectly. The ones who came in and played the scale and prepared piece with few (if any) mistakes, great sound, great musicality and phrasing, good intonation - etc. There is really no secret - you just got to make this audition the first priority in you life for the next month. Also, be prepared for a difficult sight-reading excerpt. The state picked (judges don't pick) this incredibly difficult excerpt that few people could play right. I was impressed the most with the people who could get through that reasonably well. So, start going through your band director's library and play each euphonium part 1 time through. This is the only way I know of to practice sight reading. The way I see it, most anyone can prepare music ahead of time and make it sound good. But if you really know what you are doing, you can sight-read.

Stefan Antwarg

Follow Ups: