Re: Besson Prestige/Willson/Yamaha euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Brooke on October 06, 2003 at 21:28:53:

In Reply to: Besson Prestige/Willson/Yamaha euphonium posted by A on October 06, 2003 at 14:32:29:

The only way to determine which horn is best is to try them out. Every horn has its positives and negatives. Ignore any responses that bad mouth particular brands. There are professionals that play all different makes and they all sound great. Bowman and Behrend play Willson, Mead plays Besson, Earle Louder uses Hirsbrunner, Frey plays Yamaha, etc. When listening to these people play, do you even care about what brand they are using? No. You just think about the music. When trying different horns, you'll find one that feels "right" and which matches your concept of what you want to sound like. I personally have used the same Willson 2900 for 20 years and prefer its sound to other brands. I think the Willson has a more "singing" tone than the large bore horns like Besson and Hirsbrunner, which to me, have a sound more like small tubas. But again, this is a matter of taste. Just keep in mind that no horn is perfect and that no horn will do everything equally well, but a competent performer will sound good on any virtually any make horn.

Mike

Follow Ups: