Re: band director/student

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on October 07, 2003 at 09:04:02:

In Reply to: band director/student posted by concerned on October 06, 2003 at 21:27:40:

I agree with some other poster's be very careful. Without evidence, I'm not sure you should report this to anybody. If it's true the man is scum and should never teach again.
If it is not, then just the accusation may mean he never teaches again. In my middle school a Spanish teacher was accused of having sex with an 8th grade girl. He spent 6 months in jail awaiting trial (no money for bond), lost his license etc.. Long story short, he was completely cleared because the two girls whose stories were the basis of the accusations started changing. Plus the fact that supposedly one the "events" took place at a time when the teacher verified to be in Spain visitng family and another took place under his desk (which girl could not phsically fit under, let alone him too). So he was cleared: no back pay, no apology, no job. He didn't have any resources for legal recourse. IF you talk to somebody, I would not talk to the school counselor. At least in my state if they (or any teacher) are presented with this accusation they are required to report it to Children Services and the law. Without evidence that would be bad. Before people flame me, I am not for letting child abusers go free.

Cliff Higgins

Follow Ups: