Re: Hang a Tuba on the Wall?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by harvey wall-hanger on October 08, 2003 at 11:30:00:

In Reply to: Hang a Tuba on the Wall? posted by Chris on October 08, 2003 at 10:47:05:

The high school that I taught at had a great tuba hanging system. The unit was constructed of plywood and consisted of two shelves. There was a bottom shelf for the bow to rest on. This shelf had a depression for the bottom of the bow. This depression may have been made with a couple of strips of wood, nailed to the shelf, with a gap between them for the bow to rest in.

The bell throat was supported by a top shelf that had a cutout in the shape of the throat. The top shelf did not support any of the instrument's weight, it served only to keep the instrument in storage position. This cutout did not come in contact with the bell flare. It was closer to the leadpipe (but not too close!)

The tubas went in sideways, with the bell side going in towards the wall. The depression in the bottom shelf was placed so that the tubas were leaning in towards the wall. I don't think there were straps holding in the tubas, but they were well supported. Contact points were covered in thick felt.

It's hard to describe this setup in words. A skilled parent could easily construct these tuba shelves and mount them to the wall. If you would like a drawing, send me an email.

s_don(AT)bellsouth.net

Follow Ups: