Re: BBb and CC BATs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Benjamin Schardt on October 11, 2003 at 10:30:50:

In Reply to: BBb and CC BATs posted by AW on October 11, 2003 at 07:30:37:

If it didn't seem like a somewhat redundant technique, maintaining considerable proficiency on the 4 available tuba keys (C, Bb, F and Eb) would probably be a boon to any tubist, as one would not have to think within and limit oneself to any particular key; if you find a horn that works, irregardless of the key, you'd be set.

However, it isn't terribly practical to maintain that profeciency across the spectrum of keys. I, for one, find myself getting into "playing ruts" on a single key of instrument and, upon returning to another (this is just between F and C, mind you) can have a somewhat frustrating transitional period of a day or two refamiliarizing myself with the fingerings; until that is complete, my fingers can go awry on faster passages (especially passages including notes that ARE fingered the same on the two instruments, such as C and Bb.)

This being said, I think that a generally safe policy is to find a particular bass tuba that works (Eb or F) and a contrabass (CC or Bb) and stick with em. Might seem kind of limiting, but unless you are willing to equally divide your playing time between all the keys, likely with some detrement to proficiency, two keys is likely the most practical.

Follow Ups: