Re: Re: Xenophobia or ......???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on October 11, 2003 at 10:33:39:

In Reply to: Re: Xenophobia or ......??? posted by Alex Kidston on October 11, 2003 at 04:25:52:

Alex,

Most european countries require that you have a european address prior to coming out to audition. Many German orchestras will pay your travel expenses, but only from the border. There are many weird rules to the audition game in Europe, these being two well-known examples. Again, these are normal practices over there. They run things the way that best suits them, just as we do over here. If you look at it from their perspective, they don't need you, so why should they try to change rules for you. There will be other applicants that will fulfill all of their requirements and that will play just fine at the audition.

When auditioning for any European ensemble, you are dealing with a different culture which developed different laws and practices over many centuries. If they do not bother to explain them to "a tedious, young American" you can hardly fault them. We do the exact same thing to outsiders. Even though our unionized auditions make sense to us most of the time, out practices and immigration laws are totally nonsensical to many Europeans. And what would an American personnel manager tell a foreigner that was critical of and confused by the way we choose to do business? "Take a hike."

Vent all you want, but the International Musician runs a statement in the classifieds of EVERY issue that warns you about the odd and unregulated manner that many European orchestras choose to operate.

There is a great book out by one of the violinists in the Dallas Opera Orchestra. She played over there for a long time and compiled her experiences into a handbook of sorts. I will go look for it and get back to you here with her name and the title. It is self-published, but it is quite eye-opening and an entire little education in itself. It is mostly aimed at how things are in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, but it is fairly accurate for other countries as well.

As I said, I will go look for it in a while and be back with the information.

regards,

Wade

Follow Ups: