Re: Why CC, really?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on October 11, 2003 at 16:03:44:

In Reply to: Why CC, really? posted by John on October 11, 2003 at 15:08:14:

I never had any problem earlier in my life with playing in tune and comfortably in B major on my old BBb tuba. But I switched to CC all the same. At first, it was because that was what everyone just did. Now I can see the wisdom of it. But I would switch back to BBb if I found one that just played so well that I had to have it. Use whatever makes the right sound for whatever you are doing. Just find a tuba that you really love, get it, and learn to overcome its deficiencies well enough that it presents you with no consistent problems. For me, a particular CC 163 Alexander was "the horn" that I had to have. So I bought it and spent an unusual amount of time getting used to it – it still will throw me a curve now and then. I stumbled across a BBb 163 later; it was so nice (after a bunch of work) that I almost sold the CC and switched back. If I play on a Fafner and am totally blown away with how it sounds and plays, then I just might buy it and switch back for real.

A musical instrument is only a tool for expressing what should already be inside of you. It needs to allow you to do so with a minimum of distractions or physical impediments. Beyond that, it is strictly whatever makes you happy.

I commented on this earlier today. Click on the link.

Wade

Follow Ups: