Re: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on October 15, 2003 at 08:22:53:

In Reply to: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today posted by js on October 14, 2003 at 23:26:14:

None - My contribution was in regard to some of the musicians who appear on the old 1920s records. I had the distinct privilege of having the opportunity to perform with several of them who were still active in the late 1960s and 1970s. I think one of my posts to that site involved Dudley Fosdick, who played jazz mellophone with Miff Mole's and Red Nichols' bands on some sessions.

That site highlights my personal favorite era for jazz music - the 1920s - when the music was at once commercially successful AND experimental, unbounded by "traditions". Those old records still sound fresh today, and have a spontaneity that has never been duplicated. They were inventing it as they went along.

My attraction to the era isn't based upon nostalgia - I'm not that old - it's the MUSIC these guys were making. Also, it's form of improvised music open to us as tuba players, which happens to be FUN to play (with the right band).

A word of warning - if you buy some of those compilation CDs from that site - the stuff is highly addictive....

Mark Heter

Follow Ups: