Re: To Drum Corp or not to Drum Corp...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Drum Corps Survivor on October 17, 2003 at 01:45:28:

In Reply to: To Drum Corp or not to Drum Corp... posted by Tuba Nerd on October 16, 2003 at 18:02:08:

I marched with two different corps while I was in college (98 Crossmen, 99 Blue Devils). I worked harder than I have ever worked in my life for a 7th place finish, and I worked smarter than I ever have for a world championship. I did not, however, return in 2000 for my age-out year. If I had the chance, I wouldn't change a thing; I had all the experiences I felt I needed out of the activity, and I left when it was right for me.

The important thing to remember is that while drup corps is fun (if you're into that kind of "fun"), it probably won't be the focus of your life. Take it for what it is, learn what you need to, and move on. I know far too many people who are over age 21 but still live solely for the compeitive marching world. To me, it seems that their musical and professional growth has come to a grinding halt.

Another thing: you don't have to be in a hurry to join a corps right away. If you're only a Junior in high school, remember that you have until age 21 to get that experience if you decide you want it, so you can put it off for a few years and decide if it's really important to you later.

As for ruining your chops, marching corps gave me many of the tools I need for my current job as a college band director. I also teach tuba and euph lessons (see "finer orchestral work"), and I'd like to think my playing turned out at least OK.

That's my 2 cents - take it or leave it.

Follow Ups: