Re: moustache embouchure

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Perry on October 17, 2003 at 09:48:30:

In Reply to: moustache embouchure posted by mat on October 17, 2003 at 00:32:03:

If you want to attain a rock solid low register, shave your moustache.

When I was going into grad school at Yale (light years ago), I was telling Toby Hanks that my low register was not as solid as I would like it to be. He started rubbing his lip like he had an itch. When I realized what he was referring to, I said NO WAY would I shave my moustache. Being pretty vain, I had had this thing trimmed and manicured, and was accustomed to tugging on it as habit. It was part of my identity! I joked,"what about my fans"! Toby then said that he had a student who was new at the tuba and came for periodic lessons. On the second lesson, he mentioned to the player that if he shaved his moustache, his lower register would improve. 6 weeks later, the student returned with a clean upper lip. I replied, "So What, it probably wasn't that important to his looks". Toby said he was giving lessons to my teenage idol James Taylor, and that night I shaved the damn thing off. I immediately had better response in the cellar.

Look what MOST of you women are missing!

STEVE

Follow Ups: