Re: Eb Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on October 17, 2003 at 22:03:37:

In Reply to: Eb Tubas posted by TexAss on October 17, 2003 at 17:56:28:

I tried a few Effers out a couple weeks ago.
If you've played a Willson, like it, but can't afford it. A Meinl-Weston 2141 might be a good compromise, similar is shape, size, and sound. I think it sounded a bit lighter. I didn't have a tuner with me, but to my ear (on scales, familiar etudes, ect...) intonation seemed well in place.
I see what people are saying about the 'big valves' being hard to reach. But when I didn't use the thumb ring, no more problem. Just not too sure what I'd do to move the thumb-ring, and trigger, away from the horn.

I still liked the Besson 983, assuming memory remembers the horn's playing correctly.

If you want something that sounds more like a 'traditiona' F tuba, then look for an old Miraphone 183(?), or a Cerveny of some sort (I had a 641-4, but when to the Mira for something a bit bigger) - But these horns tend to have the squirly low C-Bb thing that their F cousins have

Suggestions could be more help if we all knew what you're use(s) would be. And the best advice you'll find from around here (for what ever your Eb applications are) 'find a place to try them all'. We've all got our own opinions as to what's best. And of course, we're all right ;-)

Good luck on your hunt,
Steve C

Follow Ups: