Re: Re: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ Ward on October 17, 2003 at 23:09:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today posted by Brian Frederiksen on October 14, 2003 at 08:59:26:

Yep, I owned the Holton in question. I actually purchased it from Jim Johnson, who originally got it from Jake. Jim used it for a number of years and recorded a number of the 2 tuba tunes with Jake and CSO in the mid-70s. Into my 3rd season with the Florida Symphony Orchestra (ca. 1979), I found it available and purchased it from Jim. Jake told me he had it built for outdoor concerts, so he could get the forward projection of the front bell. In addition to that, he had a "loud leadpipe" put on it (as though he any trouble cutting through). I sold the horn to Bob Carpenter somewhere around 1983 to help purchase my York Model Hirsbrunner. Bob also bought my Mirafone 184-5u a year earlier when I needed to come up with the down payment. A few years back, Bob got the stuff for a 5th rotary valve and had Claude Kashnig rebuild the horn with a 5th valve. It's a really nice horn and there are times when I kick myself for selling it, but Bob is putting it to good use with the Orlando Philharmonic.

I still have the French Besson that I got from Jake in '76. It has 4 clock-spring rotary valves and the third valve slide is 1/2 tone lower to help compensate for intonation. I never had it cut, but it works great for Bydlo using just the 3rd valve instead of 2 & 3. I used it for a few operas in my early years with FSO, but think its time to pass this one on; if anyone might be interested in a unique F tuba, its up for sale! Contact me!

Also, thanks for the kind remarks. I currently teach as an adjunct at University of Central Florida and Valencia Community College in Orlando.

Be well,
Russ Ward

Follow Ups: