Re: Euph mpc: Bowman vs Lehman

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 18, 2003 at 13:42:05:

In Reply to: Euph mpc: Bowman vs Lehman posted by Lyle M. Hill on October 18, 2003 at 09:15:30:

You should know that I double on euphonium, so you might want to ignore my post.

I discovered a discontinued mouthpiece - made by Warburton - for Canadian Brass. (This was a Canadian Brass product prior to Yamaha "taking over".) Canadian Brass still has a few of these in stock, and I've sold a few to friends...

This is a large shank mouthpiece and is supposed to be a bass trombone mouthpiece. It's certainly not the typical bass trombone (nor euphonium, for that matter) mouthpiece. It basically is a "miniaturized Helleberg" (funnel cup, flat thin rim with sharp bite) mouthpiece with bass trombone/euphonium dimensions. The mouthpiece actually has an old-fashioned "Helleberg-ish" external appearance, as well.

It has a very dark and very pretty sound. I went ahead and put a large shank receiver on my Willson 2900 (not only to fit this mouthpiece, but so I can use the vast majority of mouthpieces out there - rather than the small selection of euro-shank mouthpieces) and use this mouthpiece with my Willson.

I've messed around with Bydlo and some of the very high Berlioz/Mendelsohn ophicleide excerpts with this mouthpiece. It gets just the sound I like for these pieces.

Again I know you're a euphonium-not-tuba player, and maybe wouldn't like this set-up, but it does make a dark sound indeed. Because of its extremely large size, this mouthpiece is not one that most would consider trying to play much above "euphonium" high c (c above middle c), unless you're "Superman".

I can sell these mouthpieces for around $80.

Follow Ups: