Thanks to Bob Joles - LA Brass Spect.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne Rice on October 20, 2003 at 13:34:59:

I wanted to post a giant thank you for Bob Joles who alerted those who read this board to the "LA Brass Spectacular" that took place last night at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in North Hollywood. It was truly an amazing event. Every brass player, and I mean every one, beginner to the best, could have benefitted from hearing the performances last night. (For those of you who don't know, the program featured the LA Trumpet Ensemble, the LA Trombone Ensemble, the UCLA Faculty Brass Quintet and the LA Chamber Brass (also a quintet). The members of these groups make up most of the top-call brass players in the Los Angeles studios and represented on stage were the musicians behind literally thousands of movies.

Most non-musicians (and unhappily, many younger musicians) think that fast, high, loud playing represents the pinnacle of achievement on most instruments, brass instruments especially. But while that kind of playing was on display last night, the most hair-raising things I heard may have been the most subtle. Malcolm McNab's performance in the Hollywood themes medley actually made me cry. A short break played in Bill Booth on an Irish tune also brought tears.

The relaxed, fluid approach I heard from all the players enabled a kind of expression that I have heard only rarely. To hear it again and again in one place on one night was astounding. I guess the easiest way to express it was that it all sounded so simple-like "Oh yeah. That's how it's done." The most difficult passages sounded effortless and clear, which allowed subtle musical coloring that is only possible when the execution is flawless.

I got to meet one of my idols again, Tommy Johnson. He sounded terrific on everything and showed that even this late in his career he still belongs in that elite group of musicians that seems to show up in every big movie. But again, his artistry was of the subtle type; he played a supporting role beautifully, but rendered his solo passages with style. One example: he was playing a middle-to-upper range note that ended a phrase that was exposed. The way that he tapered that note quickly and added a touch of vibrato in order to fold into the next section made me shake my head in admiration. Intonation, of course, whether above the staff or in the pedal range was rock solid. His playing is ageless.

I guess you can't really appreciate anything fully unless you have attempted to master that thing yourself. I spent (as have many who read this board) many years playing 3-8 hours a day trying to forge what little talent I have into the type of expression I heard last night. I think that time spent, regardless of whether I ended up playing professionally, permitted me to understand and appreciate what the giants were saying last night: It wasn't the playing that hit me so hard, it was the playing within the playing, the artistry within the framework of the music, the expression.

If you were not there, I am sorry. If you were, you are better off than when you went in. If you were listening, you received a gift that should stay with you.

So, thank you Bob Joles.

I hope all is well with you. We met 17 years ago when I was in the WDW All-American Marching Band and you were playing at the Canada pavilion at EPCOT. You had me over to your place and we played duets. I can see that you are still as generous as ever.

Follow Ups: