Re: Articulation Flaw = Sore Throat ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on October 21, 2003 at 10:36:28:

In Reply to: Articulation Flaw = Sore Throat ? posted by Paul on October 21, 2003 at 10:19:07:

Sounds like you are on the right track in your thinking. I think of articulation like this. The airstream flows from the lungs in an unrestricted flow until the first point of resistance: the lips. Think of the tongue merely interrupting rather than stopping the airflow. This will bring into play only the parts of your anatomy that are really necessary for the production of tone.

Experiment with the vowels sounds "OH", "OO" and possibly even "AH" to discover which seems to be most effective for you.

I've found that the consonant sound itself is best achieved through relating it to speech. In other words, if you can speak an articulated passage with the kind of clarity and lightness you desire and emulate that on the tuba, you have a better chance of keeping the tongue more relaxed while playing. I always think of focusing mainly on the sound of my voice as I speak these exercises rather than over-emphasizing the consonant sound.

Hope this helps you. Anyone with different ideas?

Follow Ups: