Re: Re: Re: vented vs leaky

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 22, 2003 at 11:27:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: vented vs leaky posted by Mary Ann on October 22, 2003 at 10:39:14:

That is one purpose, and that's why I vented the first valve on my Miraphone. But I had the valves on the York Master (and my 621 F tuba) so I could pull slides to empty them without having to push the valve down with my other hand. It makes emptying water much easier. I haven't needed it on the Holton because the slides that collect water have convenient water keys on them that provide the venting when I empty them (I prefer to pull slides to empty them rather than blowing air through water keys).

For instruments that require some slide manipulation, venting valves lets you move the slides while you play without either building pressure or pulling a vacuum by accident. Some people also don't like the occasional burble resulting from a little residual pressure in a valve branch from the valve having been closed during loud play.

Rick "thinking that venting is a good thing when properly done, but only if you need it" Denney

Follow Ups: