Re: ADHD students?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Think about this on October 22, 2003 at 14:35:29:

In Reply to: ADHD students? posted by lisa on October 22, 2003 at 13:03:53:

I don't want this to sound as negative as it might. The student might not be ready for private lessons in the 5th grade. I have a student in the 8th grade with ADHD and whatever else...mostly video game-idis. Same types of things were going on when we started lessons. I never thought he was ready for this type of instruction, but the parents insisted and the kid liked me, so we continued on. it was a little frustrating, but you just have to wait it out. As an eight grader, I see signs that he is maturing and every once in a while he shows signs of picking up a technique or something that shows me that he does in fact have some comprehension skills. if the kids can keep interested enough in his middle school band program, maybe its OK for him to just drop lessons and progress with the class mean untill he grows up and can learn to control himself and his brain a little more.

I have a another fifth grade student that is the total opposite of this. he has a fairly high comprehension for learning tuba skills, but can get a little scatterbrained in an hour lesson. I take some time to talk about soccor or another interest he has in the middel of the lesson to distract, then move back to the lesson after a little focus can be regained. It all depends on the kids. good luck

Follow Ups: