Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marching Band Competitions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by not gonna agree on October 23, 2003 at 10:28:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marching Band Competitions posted by Joe Baker on October 22, 2003 at 21:56:36:

We will never agree on this issue. There is so much repertiore out there from band music(a lot of recent publications) to orchestral to opera to anything, that can be extremely effective on the field, as well as educational. Lack of creativity by band directors will will hurt any band show. I have hear a lot more disgraceful jazz and pop music shows than classical shows by far, and I am in the activity. I am sory, but spending 4 months working on Pictures at an Exhinition is much more musically educational than working on hits from the 70's. maybe not gonna go over as well with the football crowd, but who cares.

Parents are going to like what their kids are doing either way, or should. may as well learn something about real music. Thats only one way that we can improve our culture...by educating our youth about what real music is.

I am not saying that pop music, especially some of the coller stuff like Chicago or James Brown...is not real music. I love it. i just don't think it is intricate enough to be spending 4 months on for a marching band show...besides, it is a little limiting when you have to out a visual design to it. Thats why those bands that play that stuff are not as successful. Play it in the stands for football games(which my band does). Our show has o many different styles of music in it, from swing, to lyrical ballands, to technical tour de force. Thats what needs to be done. Pop shows are just to limiting.

Follow Ups: