Re: Meinl Weston 2155 vs Meinl Weston 2155s?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Smith on October 26, 2003 at 23:52:12:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston 2155 vs Meinl Weston 2155s? posted by Brandon Ostrom on October 26, 2003 at 22:36:34:

Brandon,

I've played both of these horns, albeit a long time ago before I moved out to the west coast (which was Labor Day), but I do remember both being pretty solid examples of the 2155. The big difference between the price on these is 1)lacquer vs. silver plating, 2) the Dillon AGR on the silver tuba, which adds on $$ to the value of the instrument, and finally 3) the replacement of the normal water keys and being replaced with Amado / pushbutton water keys.

I've also found at Dillon's especially that you get what you pay for. The less $$ the horn is, it probably (not 100% of the time) is going to have some sort of intonation quirks / response problems, etc. You can talk to Matt, he's an honest guy who will help you as best as he can.

I don't think that a set of slide extenders to turn this into a BBb are available for this horn. This doesn't mean that they can't be made by a competant repair technician, but why? If you want a Meinl Weston 2155, just learn to play the CC tuba. It's a great skill to have.

Sincerely,

Andy Smith
Bassdi(AT)aol.com

Follow Ups: