Re: conductors...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on October 29, 2003 at 16:39:40:

In Reply to: conductors... posted by stick slave on October 29, 2003 at 13:10:34:

Hand's down: Jonathan McPhee, who was conducting the Boston Ballet at the time of my interaction with him at the International Ballet Competition.

He took my colleagues and me up to a plane of musical expressiveness and solidity that we only reach on occasion. Our PBS Special Broadcast that year sounded like a mature major symphony in all respects. Most of the time (non-subscription things) we sound pretty average, with concerts from our three subscription series sounding either "very accurate" and feeling uninspiring, or "very exciting" with a slightly marred finish.

We are very much a ROPA group, with very limited rehearsal time and a tiny budget for quality subs and extras. But when McPhee was in the pit with us we sounded big-time at all times for the two week period.

He talks a bit, but it is all about sound production and concept, blend, and style.

He talks very little about the music at hand, using his face and baton to say most of what needs to be said. He is very clear at all times, and is quite artistic in front of his stick technique.

I hope to be fortunate enough to work with him again someday.

I also loved Anshel Brusilow back in his more aggressive years – a master teacher and conductor!

Also, a trumpet player named Kevin Noe that was at UNT with me was quite good; we all looked forward to working on independent projects or in Brass Choir when he was conducting. He was a fast learner and a fine musician. He was conducting at UT Austin, last I heard.

Wade "" Rackley

Follow Ups: