Re: Douglas Yeo's "Le Monde Du Serpent" CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on October 30, 2003 at 11:59:37:

In Reply to: Douglas Yeo's "Le Monde Du Serpent" CD posted by Sean Chisham on October 30, 2003 at 10:57:31:

I have been carrying Doug's CDs for a number of years and last week Doug sent me a supply of Le Monde Du Serpent. Over the weekend I made a trip to Kalamazoo and decided to give it a listen on the way. I have to admit, it is unusual going through downtown Chicago listening to serpent music!

I had expected a whole recording of renassance music and was surprised - yes there is some period music with ensembles, the traditional use of a serpent. In addition there is the serpent with modern instruments, solos accompanied with the modern piano and other instrumental ensembles. There is quite a bit of Berlioz. One surprise was the use of the serpent in modern music.

Doug has explored the use of the serpent from A to Z - this is not a conventional early music CD played on an extict instrument. Doug's playing is great and is matched by excellent ensembles. For more on Le Monde Du Serpent including sound clips, goto http://www.windsongpress.com/CD/yeo/yeo.htm.

Follow Ups: