IMMEDIATE TA Opening!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Bratten on September 01, 1999 at 09:32:35:

Attention all college graduates!

There is an immediate opening for a tuba player in the Bulldog Brass Society at the University of Georgia, in Athens. This brass quintet is comprised of graduate teaching assistants, and is coached by Fred Mills, former trumpet player with the Canadian Brass, and now Professor of Trumpet and Brass Chamber Studies at the University of Georgia.

If you know of any tuba players that might be interested in this opportunity, please have them contact Fred Mills at 706-542-3737 or Dr. David Randolph at 706-542-2764. The pay is around $8900 for DMA and around $8500 for MM, plus full tuition. The TA is responsible for fees (about $300/semester). The assistantship involves playing in the BBS (9-11 am M-F rehearsal, plus concerts), play in the Tuba Ensemble, play in one of the major performing organizations (orchestra or band), and possibly teach a lesson or two. I does involve a lot of time, but most of that time is spent playing the tuba. Plus the group is regularly coached by Fred Mills.

In addition, there is an opportunity to be on the faculty at the Hartwick College Summer Music Festival & Institute in upstate NY. I made around $3000 over 6 weeks last summer (the base pay is $2000 for the BBS members, plus $40/private lesson). Housing at Hartwick is free. Check it out at http://www.hartwick.edu/hcsmfi/hcsmfi.html

Possible plans for the near future include a trip to Narbonne, France, for the quintet competition there; a tour of New Zealand and Australia (we have one member from each of these countries); and a possible residency at a university in Brazil for a few weeks.

Recent activities included a tour of Uruguay, South America, and a trip to Narbonne, France. The group has competed at the New York Brass Conference, the Fischoff Competition, and the UGA Brass Quintet Festival and Competition.

Again, if you know of ANYONE who might possibly be interested, pass this message along, and have them contact Fred Mills or David Randolph. I will be gone by next week, so the sooner the better.

Follow Ups: