Re: How do you get in the game ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sounds Familar on September 01, 1999 at 19:04:12:

In Reply to: How do you get in the game ? posted by JRTapes on September 01, 1999 at 13:06:52:

Hey JR:

I was in the exact boat you seem to be in now. I got my degrees in tuba and ended up in a non-music job. The tuba became less and less a part of my routine. However, I never stopped wanting to play. In fact, the more recordings of fine tubists that kept coming out, the more I wanted to play. So I started a game. Just like pick-up bascketball. I played in the community bands and such, pick out the better players and formed a quintete. That got me back into a routine and then I formed a better group. Then I started some tuba quartet and ensembles. Did lots of duet playing. Anything. I created opportunities
because I knew only I could do that. I have the fortune and misfortune of living in Souteastern Michigan where Phil Sinder, Fritz Kaenzig, Wes Jacobs, Marty Erickson and all of their very fine prodigee reside. That makes it very difficult for me to be top guy on the call list. It also p[rovides some wonderful people to take lessons from as well as hear what the tuba should sound like. It also gives me quite a goal to shoot for. Since I decided to get back into playing, I have co-founded an incredible large brass ensemble called Michigan Chamber Brass, subbed for a number of the area professional groups and am climbing that "call list" ladder. One tip I can give, play with people that are better than you. You can rise to the level of the better player or dip to the level of an inferior one. I'd choose the high roud. As far as what to study and what routines to develop, get in touch with your local (and best) professional player/teacher in the area. If that persons is 3 hours away, then make the drive. It sounds like you hav ethe desire so go out and make your game. It is well worth it!

Have fun.

Michael Grant

Follow Ups: