Re: Survey for 6/4 CC players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on September 04, 1999 at 12:16:31:

In Reply to: Survey for 6/4 CC players posted by anon on September 01, 1999 at 14:03:51:

Anon,
I played a Rudolf Meinl 43 for years, and added the Rudy 5/4 CC in 1984 as my second horn. After a year, I realized that I could, and was, using it for virtually everything, and sold the smaller instrument. I've always had trouble playing instruments with high resistance, and was blessed (or cursed) with a large lung capacity. The large horn was so much easier to play for me, that after experimentation, I used it even for "Bydlo". I used that instrument almost exclusively for 13 years, then discovered an instrument that worked even better for me in overall playing situations- a 6/4 Conn BBb. I can play it better in tune, and blend better in ensembles.
My recommendations? Assess your needs, and don't worry about what everyone else is playing. If you sound best, overall, on a Besson Eb, a PT-whatever CC, a Mirafone, an Alex BBb, or an Olds sousaphone, then that's what you should play. Try out every horn you can get your hands on, and good luck!

Follow Ups: