Re: need help adjusting to different tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Russo on September 04, 1999 at 21:49:18:

In Reply to: need help adjusting to different tuba posted by Cheryl Drewes on September 04, 1999 at 19:34:21:

The change from Bb to C tuba is easier for some than for others. You have a few other factors that might make the change hard for anyone. (Different bore size, more valves) My suggestion is give yourself a reason to learn this stuff. We all get a new instrument and are excited, then reality hits and you have to learn to play the thing. If you had a goal to work for, you would have some direction. When most people get a new instrument, we want to try to learn to play everything really well on the new horn. If you had a goal...say a performance in a local church in two weeks...you would have the direction of what to work on, and you could take the adjustments one at a time, and learn them as they relate to the piece you are working on.

When I got my C tuba, I got it on Dec. 24 and had to play in All State band on Jan. 2. Because I had to be able to play the new horn in a week, I was able to make the change easily. When the pressure of the performance was over, I was able to see what aspects of this new instrument I needed to work on more.

Bottom line, don't try to do eveything at once.

Good luck-

mike russo

Follow Ups: