Re: Owning just a F tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt on September 19, 1999 at 02:14:13:

In Reply to: Owning just a F tuba posted by CHRIS on September 18, 1999 at 12:39:29:

From what I have experienced in my life as a tubist is that an F tuba is a secondary instrument unless you are a full time solist. I have attended masterclasses by some of the legendary tubists of our time, and is was Dan Perantoni that said it best: "Practice on what made you good in the first place." He went on to say that although he is most well known in the US for F tuba playing, he practices more on CC than anyone might think because that is what got him to where he is today.

R. Winston Morris has never persued an F tuba because he can play higher on CC than most can on F anyway, but the contrabass instrument is naturally resonant in the lower frequencies whereas the bass tuba is not. That is why, in my opinion, large ensembles prefer them to the higher pitched instruments because they simply provide the fundamental low end that the tuba is known for. But as a solo instrument, which I assume you will NOT be doing full time in college, the F (or Eb) tuba would be a better choice for me personally. I own a PT-15 and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a Hirsbrunner, but that's a whole different subject (don't knock it, it's my personal opinion, but I have to buy the Hirs. CC before the F)).

If all else fails, ask the professionals. They are more than willing to talk with you and are always excited (for the most part) to share their ideas with fellow collegues.

Just my 2 cents (and I sure got my moneys worth with this many lines).

-Matt

Follow Ups: