Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 22, 1999 at 13:31:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpieces posted by Mike Sanders on September 22, 1999 at 13:08:14:

What a fascinating coincidence! It confirms to me that there are some constants in the tuba world. The PT-4 is the only tuba I ever played that sounded and felt good enough for me to consider switching from my Rudy. In my mind, the only difference between the two was that the PT-4's I played on played better in tune than my Rudy. I'm not in the know with Custom Music so I'll ask you since you might know. Do you know why they stopped carrying the PT-4? The only reason I didn't buy one of the ones I played on is because they were very expensive and I couldn't afford to spend the money on what would have been a duplication of what I already had, albeit an improved duplication. But now that I'm a little better off and have the time to experiment more, I've regretted the fact that these instruments don't seem to be available anymore.

I guess the major difference in our heavyweight mouthpiece experiences is what we get out of them. All your comments and observations about tone are the same things I'm looking for in my own playing. But for me, the heavyweight mouthpieces I use help in those areas, not hinder. Perhaps the old axiom is true, whatever works...

Follow Ups: