Re: tuba professors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Bryan on September 25, 1999 at 10:41:22:

In Reply to: tuba professors posted by John on September 22, 1999 at 18:46:38:

I have studied privately with Fritz Kaenzig, who teaches at Michigan, and also with Dan Perantoni, who is at Indiana. One note about Indiana, is that it is so big, there is a lot of competition. This is good, because it's a cold world out there, and the competition for every job is fierce. You might as well get used to facing tough competition early.

Another way to go is to think about professional players you like, and want to emulate. When I was studying, I wanted to sound like Arnold Jacobs, so I found out where he taught and went there (Northwestern). If I were going to do the same thing today, I would find out where Warren Deck teaches, and go there.

Just keep in mind that you are the most important variable in the equation. The best teacher in the world won't help you if you don't apply his teaching diligently. On the other hand, any reputable teacher can get you where you want to go if you are willing to put in the work. Just remember to try and become the best player you can be. If you do that, you will be a success.

Follow Ups: