Re: Re: Who buys Yamaha on EBAY ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by morris (CLUELESS PARENT) Schneider on October 01, 1999 at 10:22:08:

In Reply to: Re: Who buys Yamaha on EBAY ? posted by Bob on September 30, 1999 at 13:50:13:

3). As Gary said, people who don't do enough research about the true value of horns. But, there isn't a 'blue book' and a lot of people don't know about the Brasswind or other stores, catalogs etc.

This is a real problem for those of us who are new to tubas. I've spent a lot of hours getting up to speed, and I'm still not confident I know what I'm doing. It's difficult to determine the right instrument, let alone the value of a used instrument for a neophyte. Simply put, people don't know what they're doing and don't have the time to do the homework.

4). People who aren't willing to sacrifice everything else in order to buy the expensive horns. Consider a high school freshman who doesn't have a clue about his future plans but wants to play tuba in the school band. The alternatives might be a $1600 Yamaha or a beat-up dirty school horn.

This is exactly where my son is. There is probably a business for someone who really knows what they're doing to advise parents on making wise decisions. I would be willing to part with a few bucks to get that kind of information without spending my life on the research. Anyone know of a resource in the LA area I can call on?

Thanks again to everyone who has been so helpful in providing advise.

Morris

morrisk(AT)cogent.net

Follow Ups: