Re: New Yamaha york replica?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete on September 01, 2000 at 20:12:57:

In Reply to: New Yamaha york replica? posted by Wondering on September 01, 2000 at 17:35:58:

Yes Yamaha did make a copy and it is the closest copy cosmetically. They made total of 5 horns and will not make anymore. They gave one to Jim Self of course, one to the tuba player of the Tokyo Symphony and another player over here in Japan, not sure who it was. The factory here in Japan still retains atleast one that is in either raw brass or laquer. As for the other two I forgot exactly where they ended up. Possibly one could be at the factory in the states but I think Jim Self's is the only one over there. My teacher Kyoshi Sato of the Tokyo Met took one to test in the orchestra and sent it back becasue the other players said they liked his Nirshl better. The Tokyo Symphony tuba player(Isao Watanabe) however seems to really dig his, he uses it in the orchestra and all of his brass ensembles to include quintet. I have heard that they are all really different playing horns. Yamaha said they wont make anymore because the product would cost the consumer a fortune. We are talking up in the $25,000 range Ouch!!!!!!!

Pete" I think I will just stay with my Holton" Link

Follow Ups: