Re: Harvey Phillips Holton

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art on September 02, 2000 at 22:52:58:

In Reply to: Harvey Phillips Holton posted by David RN on September 02, 2000 at 14:45:16:

I do a lot of traditional jazz tuba playing. I usually prefer to use "Frankenstein" tubas that I have assembled from junk. My reason is that I can make the instrument fit me, rather than trying to make myself fit the instrument. In playing traditional jazz you have to keep playing while everyone else rests. The gig gets to be pretty long if you are not completely comfortable. The mouthpiece must be at the right height for YOU, and the valve layout and thumb ring must be right for YOU. If they are right, the rest will fall into place. You will become accustomed to the playing characteristics of the instrument, the alternate fingerings that it demands, etc. If not, then the most expensive instrument in the world will leave you hating it. The valve layout on the Holton that you mentioned seems very awkward to me. It would force me to bend my wrist in an uncomfortable manner. But some people like it that way.

Follow Ups: