Re: Small vs large bore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 03, 2000 at 09:26:26:

In Reply to: Small vs large bore posted by David RN on September 02, 2000 at 21:52:59:

The bore of an instrument is often listed as the primary statistic about that horn, but I think it's value as a descriptor is over-rated. At least as important, it seems to me, is where in the design of the conical bugle the bore is located. American instruments typically have a smaller bore, but that bore is closer to the mouthpiece, and the cylindrical section of the horn occurs early in the taper design. In rotary tubas, it comes later, and many rotary tubas have an enormous bore. There are differences in the sound of these instruments, with American-style tubas generally being thought to have a warmer, more fundamental-rich sound, while the German-style rotary horns are regarded as having a more direct and commanding sound.

As to intonation, that seems to be the sum of many effects, including the mouthpiece, the leadpipe design, the placement of bows and branches, the taper, and so on.

Range is tough. Some tubas seem to speak more easily in the low register, and for me those are usually the American style horns with a (slightly) smaller bore closer to the mouthpiece. Others report the opposite. My high range seems more limited by me than anything else, and I seem to be able to hit high notes about the same on all horns. On any given horn, some notes are better than others, but that's another effect.

Loudness is a big issue for a lot of players. American-style horns are often credited with providing a big sound, but that should not be confused with loud. And it depends on where you measure loudness, and at what frequency. Without a means of measuring sound pressure, you will have a hard time even assessing loudness. And loudness is easily confused with other effects. I as a player, can't even tell very well how loud I am, and I have to be extremely careful to listen to the room as well as the bell. The size and shape of the bell flair seem to affect the amount of sound at least as much or more than the bore.

The trend at present for horns that must fill a hall is toward the American style, but it's hard to be sure just why that is the case. 25 years ago, the trend was just the opposite, and there were astoundingly good players making a strong case for that approach at the time. Surely the pendulum will swing that way again someday.

But all this is moot for most players. Some players find their voice on one kind of horn, and other players on another. I can play the biggest American BAT ever made, and not achieve nearly the size and warmth of sound that a good player can get on a small rotary. The skill of the player is the vastly larger contributing factor.

Rick "who knows this was boring" Denney

Follow Ups: