Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gene Porkony's CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 03, 2000 at 19:32:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gene Porkony's CD posted by Pete on September 03, 2000 at 17:44:56:

Actually, the work Rex and Scott did was during the time that Rex was subbing for Jake, near the end of his career. Scott told me that the process went something like this:

Scott would bring Rex a mouthpiece which Rex would play on. Rex would tell Scott how he felt about the mouthpiece and then either Scott would take the mouthpiece back for modification or Rex would use it that week for the orchestra performances.

If Rex used the new mouthpiece, he would play on it in the performances that weekend and Scott would buy a ticket (front row center of the first balcony) and personally listen to the results.

After the concert, Rex and Scott would get together and compare notes. Then Scott would take the mouthpiece back for modification or to try something else.

This process went on for a whole season, if I remember what Scott told me correctly. That is one of the reasons why I think this mouthpiece works so well with the York copy instruments. It was really designed from the start to work with that type of tuba. If you ask Scott, he'll tell you that the 30H works with most tubas but I can't confirm that yet. I'm still working with mine and just now starting to experiment with it on tubas other than my Nirschl.

Follow Ups: